Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Challah Rolls Recipe

I have been asked so many times over the years for this recipe, and most of the time I wouldn't share. I know. I am SO mean. My recipes mean a lot to me, and most of the time I like to keep them to myself. I really can't pinpoint an exact reason (that makes any sense) as to why I am this way with my recipes. Ask me how I made that dinner? I'll send you the pin. Ask how I made the dessert? Well, I'm less inclined to share. My baking recipes are sacred to me. Most of them have transformed throughout time, and have had much love poured into them. And much time perfecting them.
Basically what I'm saying is this: it's kind of a big deal for me to share my CHALLAH BREAD recipe publicly. It's so dear to me. Sorry, not sorry, if that seems ridiculous. It is what it is, I am who I am!
(Quick side story: I made these for dinner last, we were having my mother in law over, and I started them without realizing I had used the Last of my eggs the morning before! Ugh. Come on, Chelsea! The struggles of my forgetful brain!! It was a fun trip to the store first thing in the morning with my cute 'literally just woke up' style. Yeah.) 
Anyways, here it is! This is my Challah rolls recipe, we like to use these when I make crock pot BBQ chicken. Best. Sandwich. Ever. Just sayin'.


Ingredients:
1 T. dry active yeast
1 c. honey (or sugar, or agave)
4 T. coconut or vegetable oil
2 1/2 C. hot water
1 T. salt
3 eggs (I use organic eggs)
8-9 C. flour (for this I use unbleached white flour)
(optional: 1 T. poppy seeds)

Yeilds: 12 rolls (or 2 large loafs)

Directions:
I measure my water into a large glass measuring cup. Add in yeast, honey (sugar), oil, and two eggs.

(TIP: if you are using coconut oil, add that to the water first to let it dissolve completely.)

Let this mixture rest for about 15 minutes, until it becomes frothy. This is important, and if you skip this step, your bread may come out tasting yeasty.
This is what it will look like when the yeast mixture has sat long enough! 


Pour liquids into your stand mixer with dough hooks. Add in salt, and one cup of flour at a time. Usually I end up around 8.5 cups of flour. You want your dough to be manageable, and not sticky. Let dough rise until doubled, about 1-1.5 hours.


Punch down, and roll out onto a floured surface. I usually cover my counter with parchment paper for this part, as it can get a bit messy.


With a floured knife, cut into 12 equal parts.



Divide each roll into 3 equal parts.

Roll each piece into long snakes.

Braid your Challah, tucking the ends underneath.


After it is braided, you roll the braid gently into a spiral to create a roll. 


No need to press anything together, it will stick well on its own. 


Tuck that last end gently underneath your roll. 
Aren't they just so beautiful!? I love making Challah!

At this time you will preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place the rolls on two baking sheets and allow them to rise on top of the heating oven. This will make the process much faster. Allow them to rise for about 45 minutes. 


Ready to go in the oven! 

Now get out that third egg and beat it. Brush over the tops of your rolls for a good egg wash. I usually double coat them! Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. 



YUM! They taste even better than they look. Which is almost impossible, I know, but it is so true! In fact, as I am writing this, I am eating one. I know you are jealous, but you don't have to be! Now you can go make your own!

Thanks for reading!
Let me know if you try the recipe and how your family likes the rolls! You can use this recipe to make two loaves of bread as well, if you are not interested in using them for rolls or buns!
Also, if you do make this recipe, please send me a photo and tell me what you used them for!

Enjoy!

xo,
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric