Monday, December 1, 2014

Attachment Parenting

Welcome to my first blog post, and thank you for reading! 

My husband and I practice attachment and gentle parenting. I really love it, and I feel that it has allowed Amelia the best start in life. For those of you who are wondering what I am even talking about, attachment parenting is the practice of creating an attachment between the parents and the child(ren). Attachment parenting means something a bit different to every parent. 

For us it means:
  • co-sleeping (bed sharing)
  • breast feeding (even dry or comfort nursing)
  • never leaving Amelia with anyone but each other
  • baby wearing
  • not practicing any form of CIO (cry it out, also known as the Feber method)
  • responding to cries immediately and sensitively
  • positive disciple
  • respectful feeding
  •  and raising her in the most nurturing, caring, and loving environment possible. 
I am sure there are a few little things I forgot to add, but most things fall into one of those categories. AP works for us, and we really enjoy practicing it. Dr. Sears, whom I absolutely adore, has said a lot about AP, and has even written a book on it. I recommend this book to all parents, parents-to-be, and even people who work in childcare. I used AP methods in taking care of children in the preschool I taught at, and with the children I nannied. I think that when dealing with babies and children, it brings out the best in them and you when you use gentle methods. 


We chose AP because we agree with the research that shows how much better it is for the baby, and the parents! We also chose AP because we both felt that it was most natural, and honestly I feel like it chose me! I couldn't imagine parenting any other way, it is just what comes naturally to me as a mother and caregiver, 

If you want to learn more about attachment parenting, click here to view the AP webpage! 

Do you practice AP? What drove you to it? What does it mean for you and your family?
Share your thoughts! 
Ask questions! 

xo, 
Chelsea  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by | SweetElectric